Exam Deadlines & Fees
Bar Exam Application Filing Schedule
|Application Period Opens||Application Deadline|
|February Bar Exam||September 1||October 1|
|July Bar Exam||January 1||February 1|
Bar exam filing deadlines are set by the Supreme Court in the Rules Governing Admission to the Alabama State Bar. The Alabama State Bar does not have the ability to grant waivers or exceptions to the deadlines. There is no late filing deadline or late filing fee. Applicants who fail a bar exam are given 10 days from the release of results in which to re-apply for the next bar exam.
Bar Exam Application Fees
|ASB Application Fee||NCBE Investigation Fee||Applicants in Category|
|$575||Determined by NCBE||
- ALL APPLICATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
- An applicant who withdraws from a bar exam may carry forward the application fee to the next bar exam only. An applicant who has carried forward an application fee from a previous application will be responsible for paying the difference between the carried forward fee and the current fee.
- The National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) conducts a character and fitness investigation for applicants in certain categories. If an NCBE investigation is required, the fee is determined by NCBE and is in addition to the ASB Application Fee. NCBE Fee Schedule and Payment Instructions
- An applicant’s state of residence is the state of the applicant’s current, valid driver’s license at the time of application submission.
- A law student non-registration fee of $250.00 is assessed to any applicant who has not previously submitted a law student registration (Rule I, Rules Governing Admission to the Alabama State Bar) or previously paid the non-registration fee. The law student non-registration fee is addition to the application fees above.